Thursday 9 August 2012

Charity skydive? Funds for fun?



I came across a charity skydive ad, which I'm not linking to, because I don't want anyone to take this as personal bitching or such (after all, I don't even know the people involved). Anyway, they are going to skydive for a selected charity, and they are organising a fundraiser event, so that people can make donations towards the €500 they each have to raise. Donations can be made online as well.

Well, I found myself wondering how on earth does a "charity skydive" work. I mean, my first reaction was that I'm asked to give money towards someone's fun day out - paying for their skydive. But that can't be it, surely? Where's the charity in that? They'd mentioned their selected charity, so surely they would have to get the donations, but what's the story with the skydive then? Why is that necessary - or is it? And are they getting the skydive part for free, since nothing was said about any donations being used towards it?

I googled.

I don't know if they are using this particular deal, but Skydive Ireland seem to have a Charity Skydive deal;
Option 1: Fundraise Minimum Target of €500
Reach this minimum fundraising target and you get to participate in either a Tandem Freefall Skydive (10,000ft) or Solo Static Line Parachute Jump (3,500ft). The cost of your Skydive (€250) is deducted and the other €250 plus all additional funds is forwarded to your nominated Charity.

Option 2: Fundraise Minimum Target of €600
Reach this minimum fundraising target and you get Option 1 plus you get the DVD & Photos. The cost of your Skydive Package (€350) is deducted and the other €250 plus all additional funds is forwarded to your nominated Charity.

You can also donate ALL of the funds raised to your nominated charity and pay for the skydive yourself directly.

I don't know.. Obviously, it's great for charities to get attention and support, but if I was to make a donation, I'd want it all to go to the charity that was mentioned, rather than 50% going to fund the collector's fun day out, skydiving. (Of course, there's that chance that they ARE paying for the skydive separately, donating ALL the funds raised to their charity, but it would be good to mention that important detail in all the ads and on donation pages, because it does make a difference.)

The picture is just a random skydive photo found on Pinterest - it has nothing to do with this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment