Tuesday 28 February 2012

Bernard Dunne's Bród Club

I happened to buy the new RTÉ Guide, earlier on, and almost didn't read the article on Bernard Dunne - I've absolutely nothing against him, it's just that I'm generally not interested in anything sports related, and I knew that he's a boxer, so.. =D However, I noticed something about the Irish language, and started reading the article.. I am so glad that I did! :O

Check out Bernard Dunne's Bród Club on RTÉ website, and sign up! (I did..)

I'm Bernard Dunne, boxer and lover ...of the Irish language. Just so you know, this series isn't about teaching you Irish. It's a campaign, my campaign, to get 100,000 people who use little or no Gaeilge now to use it again - to just use what you have. It's a big ask, I might fail, but I'm up for the fight.
This is my weekly blog. Each Monday I'll be reflecting on either the great, mediocre or worrying state of the campaign.

This is a really good timing for me as I'm just in the middle of my course (conversational Irish for beginners). I really, really want to learn Irish - I've wanted to learn Irish for 20+ years, but it's taken me this long to have the time/money for a course, which is absolutely necessary if you actually want to learn some grammar and stuff.. I still have a looong way to go, before I'll be able to chat in Irish (as it still takes me a long time to come up with a sentence, checking grammar rules, spelling, etc.. I hate mistakes in general, and I don't want to learn things wrong as unlearning is much more difficult than learning..), but I'm starting to understand so much more already, especially when I'm reading something - spoken Irish is rarely slow enough, at this point..

I'm already worrying what I'll do once the course is over.. It's only ten evenings, after all, with the fifth one this week. I want to keep active about it, so I'm loving stuff like this Bród Club..

Show starts RTÉ One 7.30pm 5TH MARCH 2012

Maybe they should have a Seachtain na Gaeilge more often?

No comments:

Post a Comment